Friday, July 12, 2013
Chevron Baby Quilt
I really, really love how this quilt looks. It was inspired by a beautiful similar quilt by Cynthia of Hyacinth Quilts, but I changed up the color placement a bit and added more vertical strips in the middle of the chevrons. (So I guess this that maybe makes this more of a herringbone?)
What I did not like was the actual work of piecing it. Ugh, those chevrons! I found that I had to stop and trim the sides of my chevron strips every time I added another strip, and I had to make sure the seam was lined up with the 45-degree angle on my cutting mat as I trimmed. Otherwise the 45-degree angle of the seams got a little wonky and it wasn't exactly on the 45. Sew I had to sew a seam, stop and trim. Sew a seam, stop and trim. I'm sure there's a more efficient way to do this, but I couldn't seem to wrap my brain around it! If I make this pattern again, I might try paper-piecing it in sections instead.
One of the things I like the most about this quilt is how the solid gray and white herringbone design that covers most of the quilt almost functions as negative space. Technically, I don't think it would really qualify as such, but that gray-and-white background serves many of the same purposes that negative space would. But it's just a little more interesting. And it gives the design a whole lot more movement. I love it.
The white binding was a difficult choice for me—since it's a baby quilt, I wasn't sure white was the most practical color for the binding. But with all the white bordering all the gray, green and blue chevron pieces, I just couldn't imagine this quilt with anything else. The binding feels like it's an extension of that white background, and that's how it should be, I think.
So this one's off to Jack for him to enjoy now! But you all should definitely stop back by here tomorrow, because after all the discussion of FriXion pens in Wednesday's post, specifically about whether their ink really does come out of quilts, I decided this quilt would make a perfect test case. I ironed it, I washed it, I put it in the freezer, and I took pictures every step of the way! I've already posted lots of pictures of my tests on Instagram, but I'm also going to do a post tomorrow rounding up my findings for all those who are interested in these pens as quilt marking tools.