Welcome to the blog tour for American Made Brand cotton solids! Thanks for stopping by my neck of the woods today: beautiful Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I'm not a Wisconsin native (I grew up across the lake in Michigan), but I've lived here for 10 years now and love my adopted home, so I was very excited to represent the Badger State.
For those who are new to the AMB blog tour, quilters in all 50 states are making "license plate" blocks from American Made Brand solids, a new line of solids from Clothworks made (you guessed it) right here in the US of A. For my block, I considered all the usual in-state suspects: Cheese. Beer. A cow. You can't go wrong with any of those in Wisconsin, after all. : ) But in an effort not to be too clichéd, I ended up pursuing a more offbeat idea. I wanted my block to look like one of those old-school retro postcards. Like this little piece of awesome right here:
So here's what I came up with:
Want to make your own "Greetings from Wisconsin" block? You can download my applique templates right here. I chose American Made Brand solids in a retro-ish palette that echoed my inspiration postcard above, and just traced the applique shapes onto double-sided fusible. I ironed the fusible onto the fabric, cut out the shapes, and fused it to my background fabric. Stitch down your applique in whatever way you choose, and then embroider on the "Greetings from" (I used my Bernina 750's alphabet stitches). And there you have it!
But wait! Before we get to the giveaway, here are a few fun facts about Wisconsin:
• You can thank Wisconsin for the following: Blenders, ice cream sundaes, bone marrow transplants, typewriters, Harley Davidson motorcycles, Les Paul guitars, the National Weather Service, and kindergarten. You're welcome.
• Wisconsin actually has more lakes (14,000) than its next-door neighbor, Minnesota, the land of only 10,000 lakes. : )
• Wisconsinites inexplicably call drinking fountains "bubblers."
• We have racing sausages. Yeah, I know you're jealous.
• Oh, and Wisconsin has this whack-a-doodle place. Also, a mustard museum. Enough said.
1) an FQ bundle of American Made Brand solids from Clothworks, and
Just leave a comment on this post and I'll draw two random winners next Friday, June 13. And don't forget to visit all the other stops on the American Made tour for more chances to win—including Kindred Quilts, who is representing Iowa today. Good luck, and thanks for stopping by Wisconsin today!